President Donald Trump’s re-election campaign is criticizing Twitter’s removal of a George Floyd video tribute over its policy on the use of copyrighted material.
On Thursday, the social network removed the footage from the tweet and replaced the media with the following alert: “This media has been disabled in response to a report by the copyright owner.”
According to The Hill, Trump could be heard acknowledging the “grave tragedy” of Floyd’s death. He went on to discuss the protests and riots as he warned of “violence and anarchy” from “radical leftwing groups.”
We are working toward a more just society, but that means building up, not tearing down.— Team Trump (Text TRUMP to 88022) (@TeamTrump) June 3, 2020
Joining hands, not hurling fists.
Standing in solidarity, not surrendering to hostility. pic.twitter.com/mp8957czvh
Although Twitter has removed the clip, it is still visible on YouTube.
See the video below:
Following the removal of the tribute, Trump’s re-election campaign reached out to Twitter for answers despite the network insisting a report was received from the copyright owner.
Andrew Clark, a spokesman for the Trump campaign sent a statement to the network accusing it of “making up the rules as they go along.” He also accused Twitter of “manipulated media labels” and “questionable claims of copyright.”
“This incident is yet another reminder that Twitter is making up the rules as they go along,” Clark said.
Clark went on to suggest Twitter is responsible for “censoring out” the president’s message of unity.
“Censoring out the president’s important message of unity around the George Floyd protests is an unfortunate escalation of this double standard.”
The removal of Trump’s George Floyd tribute is the latest development in Trump’s strained relationship with the social network. Last Friday, Trump pushed back against Twitter after the network flagged multiple tweets for “glorifying violence.”
Although Clark argues that Trump’s video tribute was a message of unity, many have expressed concern about his response and handling of protesters insisting he is doing the exact opposite.
In fact, on Wednesday, former Department of Defense Secretary James Mattis lambasted Trump as he said he has never seen a president as deliberately divisive as him, as previously reported on IJR.
“Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people—does not even pretend to try. Instead, he tries to divide us,” Mattis said, adding, “We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort.”