
The Pentagon fired three key figures at a prominent military news outlet following a dispute over how it handled providing âindependent newsâ to readers.
The U.S. Department of War (DOW) fired Stars and Stripes publisher Max Lederer, editor-in-chief Erik Slavin, and Middle East reporter Lara Korte on Friday, The Associated Press (AP) reported. The firings came after each of them reportedly expressed opposition to letting the Pentagon â which partially funds it â influence what the outlet covers.
While the DOW declined to comment, a Pentagon official confirmed to the Daily Caller News Foundation that âthe separation notices are real.â
âToday, I was informed that the Department of Defense is firing me for insubordination after I told a CBS reporter that I work for Stars and Stripes â not the Pentagon, not any administration, and not any policy maker,â Korte said in an X post Friday.
She and Slavin had previously spoken out against the idea of the Pentagon interfering with the outletâs coverage during a âCBS Sunday Morningâ interview in July.
âWe need to be able to provide independent news to service members. If we canât do that, if we were turned into something other than that, if we were public relations, thatâs ⌠the foxhole,â Slavin said when asked what âfoxholesâ â or conflicts between the outlet and the Pentagon â he was âwilling to die in.â
Slavin told AP he was fired over the interview.
Lederer, who announced his retirement Tuesday, was also fired. He wrote in his retirement notice that the outletâs mission differed from the Pentagonâs in âfundamental ways.â
The Pentagon appointed U.S. Navy Capt. William Urban as deputy publisher weeks before Ledererâs firing, according to AP.
âI understand that I am now part of a team, committed to editorially independent journalism that best serves our most important customer, which is our service members, their families, and our greater military community,â Urban stated in a Friday open letter published by Stars and Stripes.
The shakeup comes amid an apparent campaign by the White House to align the outletâs mission with its own.
âWe are bringing Stars & Stripes into the 21st century. We will modernize its operations, refocus its content away from woke distractions that syphon morale, and adapt it to serve a new generation of service members,â Assistant Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs Sean Parnell posted on X in January.
â will focus on warfighting, weapons systems, fitness, lethality, survivability, and ALL THINGS MILITARY. No more repurposed DC gossip columns; no more Associated Press reprints,â Parnell added.
White House Deputy Chief of Staff for Policy and Homeland Security Adviser Stephen Miller told reporters Friday he was âconfident if anybody was fired, it was for just cause.â
âI am 100% confident â a million percent confident â in the leadership of the DOWâs decisions about everything that is necessary to maintain and ensure the national security of the United States and our troops,â Miller continued.
All content created by the Daily Caller News Foundation, an independent and nonpartisan newswire service, is available without charge to any legitimate news publisher that can provide a large audience. All republished articles must include our logo, our reporterâs byline and their DCNF affiliation. For any questions about our guidelines or partnering with us, please contact [email protected].
