Comedian Dana Carvey revealed that his eldest son has died from an “accidental drug overdose” at the age of 32.
Carvey, who is best known for his years spent on “Saturday Night Live” as a cast member, shared the news of his son’s death in a joint statement with his wife, Paula.
“Last night we suffered a terrible tragedy,” Carvey wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter. “Our beloved son, Dex, died of an accidental drug overdose. He was 32 years old.”
— Dana Carvey (@danacarvey) November 16, 2023
“Dex packed a lot into those 32 years,” Carvey continued. “He was extremely talented at so many things – music, art, film making, comedy- and pursued all of them passionately.”
Carvey added that Dex was “a beautiful person” and that his “handmade birthday cards are a treasure.”
“We will miss him forever,” Carvey wrote.
Around 10 p.m., paramedics responded to a call from Dex’s girlfriend at his Los Angeles home, law enforcement officials told TMZ.
Upon arriving at the home, Dex had locked himself in the bathroom and was discovered to have been unresponsive. Paramedics reportedly tried to revive Dex, however, he was pronounced dead at the scene.
“To anyone struggling with addiction or who loves someone struggling with addiction, you are in our hearts and prayers,” Carvey and his wife wrote.
Truth and Accuracy
We are committed to truth and accuracy in all of our journalism. Read our editorial standards.