First lady Melania Trump is experiencing a slight change in travel plans.
She will not be heading to California next week for a fundraiser she was slated to host to help with her husband’s 2020 reelection campaign.
White House Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham said the decision was the result of a “scheduling conflict,” as Politico reports.
. @FLOTUS has cancelled a Beverly Hills campaign fundraiser scheduled for later this month, a White House official tells CNN. The official adds the decision to pull the plug was due to “scheduling conflict.”— Kate Bennett (@KateBennett_DC) March 9, 2020
The cancellation comes amid the coronavirus outbreak, although it is not the reason for her cancellation.
The virus has infected more than 113,000 people globally and has killed over 4,000 people according to CNN.
Coincidentally, the event was set to be held in Los Angeles County where officials declared a state of emergency after new cases of coronavirus were reported.
Grisham issued a press release on Monday commenting on Donald Trump’s health. The statement said that he has not been tested for the coronavirus because “he has neither had prolonged close contact with any known confirmed COVID-19 patients nor does he have any symptoms,” as IJR previously reported.
Other notable politicians have chosen to self-quarantine, including Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Rep. Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.). They both made the announcement after realizing they came into contact with a person that was infected with the virus during the Conservative Political Action Conference as IJR previously reported.
The Beverly Hills fundraiser would have been the first for Melania Trump to headline. The first lady has not really been on the campaign trail in the past for her husband’s fundraising.Published in