The State Department confirmed that 22 Americans had been killed by Hamas after its invasion of Israel on Saturday.
A spokesperson for the State Department expressed “condolences” to the victims and their families. This came a day after President Joe Biden announced that 14 Americans had been killed as a result of Hamas’ attack.
Hamas launched a surprise invasion of Israel on Saturday, leading to thousands of rockets being launched and more than 250 Israelis, who had been attending a music festival near the Gaza border, dead.
“We extend our deepest condolences to the victims and to the families of all those affected,” the spokesperson said Wednesday.
A State Department spokesperson confirms that at least 22 Americans have now died in the Hamas attack on Israel, per @jmhansler. That has risen from 14 yesterday.— Kaitlan Collins (@kaitlancollins) October 11, 2023
“This was an act of sheer evil,” Biden said of the attacks during a press conference on Wednesday.
During his speech, Biden described parents as having been “butchered” while trying to “protect their children” and cited reports that babies had been beheaded, and women had been raped and families murdered.
To date, 1,200 people are reported to be dead as a result of Hamas’ attack on Israel. Roughly 150 people have also been reported to have been taken as hostages by Hamas, including children and the elderly.
“We have to be crystal clear,” Biden said during his speech. “There is no justification for terrorism.”